Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Word About Length

I vaguely recall a goal I made to try to limit the length of the short story I'm working on.  As it is, it doesn't look like it's going to be a short story at all.  It seems like it'll be more of a novella.  I would reprimand myself for this if it wasn't for one simple fact.  After reading what I have so far, I can't escape the conclusion that it needs to be that length.  The story arc, and the world I'm creating, demands more.  I shouldn't be surprised.  In fact, I'm not surprised at all.  Stories seem to bloom before me, growing until I realize they've taken on a life of their own.

I'm now left with the question that I always find myself asking.  Should I try to restrain it, or should I go with it and allow it to take whatever shape it wants.

For now, I think I'll go with it.  As a story, I see great potential in it.  I only hope I can do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment