Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Express Yourself: Social Challenges


The Express Yourself Weekly Meme is made possible by Jackie @ Bouquet of Books and Dani @ Entertaining Interests.

This week's question is: What is the biggest challenge you face socially?

I've always been a socially awkward person.  When I'm in a group of people who don't share the same interests I do (which involve science fiction books and movies, writing, and science), I tend not to say much.  It's not easy for me to jump into a conversation on topics that I'm not familiar with or don't generally care about.  Some people have, on occasion, accused me of thinking I'm better than everyone else because I don't join in with their discussions.  Yet this is not the case.  I'm just too awkward for my own good sometimes.

I'm also much better at writing about my thoughts than I am with verbalizing them.  I'm sure that doesn't help in everyday social situations.


8 comments:

  1. I'm the same, I'm a very socially awkward person. People tend to think I'm ignorant because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to struggle with what to say, but I learned when you ask questions and just let the other person rattle on, it's easy. Then you don't have to say much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not as socially awkward but I do tend to veer away from topics I'm not interested in. I'm not one who can pretend to be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be, but now I am much more extroverted. If I am avoiding a social situation it is really out of lack of desire or laziness on my part. It's not that I can't socialize, sometimes I just don't want too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl! I'm scheduling the last of my guest writers in August for the collaborative writing challenge--I'd really love for you to join us:) Let me know if you're interested.
    Cheers!
    Sam
    http://writerlysam.wordpress.com/tree-of-life-branching-out/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I don't consider myself socially awkward for it, I also have a hard time with discoursing on stuff I don't know or care about. I can fake a bit of an interest for a few minutes, if need be, but that's about it. :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the same way! And-- consider yourself blitzed!! :D

    ReplyDelete