Thursday, May 1, 2014

FSF: Freedom is a Costly Dream


I know it's been awhile since I've posted for Five Sentence Fiction.  I was busy working on a novella, and then I participated in the A to Z Challenge. That's kept me pretty busy. Still, I'm here now!

The word for this week is FREEDOM.

You can find the entire story of "A Life for Sale" on this PAGE.

Chapter 3
Freedom is a Costly Dream

Image courtesy of oO2bored2careOo/
DeviantArt
Well-dressed ladies and gentlemen crowded the floor in front of the auction block, and Aurora tried to imagine what it felt like to stand in their place.  How would it feel to look upon the unwashed, emaciated bodies of the poorest in the city?  How would it feel to shop for your annual human distraction rather than fear who would purchase you for the month of your life you have no choice but to sacrifice?

With the dream of freedom in her mind, Aurora heard her number being called.  She stepped forward and watched as hands waved the numbered cards in the air, wondering if she would ever be able to pay the price for her freedom.


2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is very powerful. You've made every word count in your story, and I'm left wanting to know the rest of the story, so I must now close and go to read "A Life For Sale" in its entirety.

    God bless you,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating concept...not one I'd like to be stuck in, well written!

    ReplyDelete